To become a notary public in the State of Michigan, an applicant must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a Michigan resident or maintain a place of business in Michigan;
- Be a US citizen or possess proof of legal presence;
- Be a resident of the county in which you request appointment;
- For non-Michigan residents, maintain a principle place of business in the county where you request appointment;
- Read and write in the English language;
- Be free of any felony convictions within the past 10 years;
- Have not been convicted of 2 or more misdemeanor offenses involving a violation of the Michigan Notary Public Act (2003 PA 238) within a 12-month period while commissioned, or 3 or more misdemeanor offenses involving a violation of this act within a 5-year period regardless of being commissioned;
- Not be imprisoned in any state, county, or federal correctional facility.
To apply to become a Michigan notary public, an applicant must:
- Complete the Application for Michigan Notary Public Appointment. This application must include your driver’s license number, full name as you wish to be appointed, date of birth, residential address (as it appears on your Michigan driver’s license or personal identification card), business address, telephone number, and information about your current appointment if you are currently a notary.
- Obtain a $10,000 Michigan Notary Bond* and file it at the office of the county clerk in the county where the notary will be appointed. The cost of a surety bond will vary–generally between $50 to $100.
- Upon completing the above requirements, an applicant pays a $10 filing fee and swears a constitutional oath of with the county clerk’s office.
- After swearing the oath and paying the nonrefundable filing fee with the county clerk’s office, completed applications are mailed with a $10 check or money order (payable to “State of Michigan”) to:Michigan Department of State, Office of the Great Seal, 7064 Crowner Drive, Lansing MI 48918. This must be filed within 90 days after filing the bond with the county clerk’s office.
*CNASurety (SUR Insurance Agency) offers a $10,000 Michigan Notary Bond for only $55.00, including $10,000 Notary E & O coverage at no additional cost. You can add an additional $10,000 Notary E & O coverage for just $45.00 more ($25,000 is just $120.00 more). They process, execute and mail notary bonds the same business day your order is received assuring timely approval of your Michigan notary commission. A direct bill payment invoice will be included when your bond is issued. Simply remit the appropriate premium to CNASurety within three (3) business days of the date your bond is issued. To apply, complete the Michigan Notary Bond application, fill out the form and click the Submit Form button, or print it out and fax your completed application to (605) 335-0357.
For more information, please contact:
Office of the Great Seal
Richard H. Austin building
430 W. Allegan Street, 1st floor
Lansing, MI 48918
Phone: (888) 767-6424
Items for Page: There are no posts that match the selection criteria.